Friday 5 March 2010

Meet the Team Pauline Sinclair & Spook







Flying Scots Flyball Team Members

Tell me something about yourself and your dogs
I work as a dog warden in west lothian and have 3 border collies. As well as flyball, I compete in agility. My dogs often come to work with me and help with school talks - the kids love meeting them. The are also quite useful when I want to catch a stray thats not co-operating - they are handly lures!

Why did you want to do Flyball?
It looked like the kind of high energy fun activity that me and my dogs love. As soon as I tried it out for the first time, I knew that I was going to be hooked!

Tell me about your Team Dog ie Spook
Spook came to me at about 1yr old. He belonged to a sheperdess, but things didnt work out - he was too much of a softy for the sheep! He is a really genuine dog and gets on with just about anybody and anything. There is not a bad bone in his body! He is the class clown and gets a little carried away sometimes, but thats just part of his charm. There are two sides to spook - the side that is super intelligent, quick to learn and agile and fast, then theres the side that gets under your feet and trips you over (I have the bruises to prove it) or knocks over anything thats not nailed down because he isnt looking where hes going.

Which other dogs do you train in Flyball and how are they progressing – Future team members?
My oldest dog, Jura, is retired from flyball (although shes not happy about it!) and Dhillon has not yet been trained on the new style box. He has had a leg injury thats hindered him a bit, but Im hoping to get him started over the summer months. No plans yet for any more dogs so Spook is my main flyball dog at the moment.

Do you enjoy going to Crufts?
I love going to crufts! Theres no other place like it and the atmosphere in the main arena is electric, not to mention the stalls. Its a shoppers heaven! Whenever we come back home it takes me a week or so to 'come down' from the excitement of it all!

What other activities do you participate in with your dogs and how have they progressed in that field?
I also compete in agility. Jura is semi retired and sometimes has a shot for fun (although she quite often gets a high place), Dhillon competes in grade 5. He has nearly won up to grade 6 on several occassions, only being beaten by a few hundredths of a second. Unfortunately,a bad injury to his leg set him back, but he is doing well at training again and I am hoping to start winning some rosettes with him again soon and get him up to grade 6.

What are your goals for the future?

Be a better handler! My dogs are super talented - I just need to catch up a bit!

Any other hobbies or interests?
I love photography, especially action shots of dogs working. I often take pictures at agility and flyball shows. I am also interested in dog behaviour and have attended many workshops and seminars by top behaviourists.

4 comments:

  1. Go Spook Go !!!
    I can definately vouch for his ability to get under your feet when you least expect it !
    Not many sleeps now til Crufts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome lad!

    Tsar says hi to Spook! ;)

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Pauline & Spook
    Don't spend too much on shopping at Crufts

    Sara
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No! Just had a thought Rory and Spook in the same caravan!
    Tripping and Clumsy are just two words that spring to mind, we should maybe wrap them up in bubble wrap and only unpack them for the competitions.LOL!

    Good Luck will be screaming for you all

    Love Lynn and Smudge

    ReplyDelete